Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Water the Plant

The following correspondence is reproduced, in slightly modified form, with the authors permission.

Dear Reverend Master,
There is something that I wanted to write to you about. On Wednesday, on my return from Scotland, whilst on public transport, a thought came into the head: 'You could have (or send out) love for all these people here. There is no need to be defensive or closed in'. This was interesting, as it had never occurred to me in this way. Somehow, I think I have never truly known what love is - it is only starting now slowly to dawn on me. It started off about two years ago, when all of a sudden I realised that I could just love the little ducklings on the lake. I guess I'll need to nurture (or keep reminding myself of) this little plant - or should I just let it grow on its own?

Dear Friend,
Love, Compassion and Wisdom are the fundamental True Nature of your being. You don't need to do anything other than trust that this is so and notice when anguish, frustration, ill will and the like are there and let them go. In the very middle of what we regard as faults can be found love. Just open your heart, keep your insides soft and pliable and what flows, will flow. Love is not a thought; you will not necessarily consciously know about it in your daily life. You will see it's shadow and that is the stuff of meditation and daily life practice. That's watering the little plant!

Dear Reverend Master,
I thank you for these words.
In gassho,