Sunday, February 26, 2006

Still in the Midst of Conditions

The following is from Blogging and the Wisdom of Crowds.

If an essential part of Web 2.0 is harnessing collective intelligence, turning the web into a kind of global brain, the blogosphere is the equivalent of constant mental chatter in the forebrain, the voice we hear in all of our heads. It may not reflect the deep structure of the brain, which is often unconscious, but is instead the equivalent of conscious thought. And as a reflection of conscious thought and attention, the blogosphere has begun to have a powerful effect.

The author goes on to talk about the effect the huge rise in the number of blogs, coupled with tag's defined by 'the people', is having on the structure of the internet. I don't pretend to have my head around this to the extent I could comment about it. So, if you're interested in the goings on behind the scenes of the internet and how its structure is being changed by 'us', then this article is worth taking a look at.

I found it somewhat disturbing when I bumped into the phrase 'constant mental chatter' in connection with blogging! Buddhist Blogger Beware! I ask myself, 'Do I really want to add more to the voice we hear in the forebrain'? I aspire to sit still in the midst of that within myself daily. Partaking of the 'global brain' through blogging is a challenge and, for the moment, it's worth it.

Over the past couple of weeks, since being more involved with other people writing Buddhist weblogs, I've gained a new appreciation of their place in practice. Offered and received in their highest form, the blogs can be understood as an expression of the Sangha Refuge. I know I benefit from sharing the inner workings of others walking The Path. And there is the offering of that which comes from behind the words too.