Monday, October 23, 2006

Cause to Pause

I came across a blog written by a platoon leader in Mosul, Iraq. He's 23 years old. The following is from a recent post where he talks to his fellow countrymen, imploring them and all of us to consider our thoughts before speaking. He writes thus:

The moral of my men has a direct impact on whether they will live or die each day. I choose to live and so does everyone here. Despite this desire, demoralizing conditions do great harm, in regards to keeping my men safe. These conditions lead to complacency, which will, at one point, lead to another tragic event that I don't want repeated. In summary, I implore you, as a collective group, to consider your thoughts before you speak and understand that your comments have a lasting effect on real people that fight this war on a daily basis.

This certainly has given me cause to pause before speaking my thoughts. That's my thoughts about anything. And to reflect on compassion too, about there being no place, person, situation, country etc. that compassion cannot reach...if one opens to that possibility.