Sunday, April 09, 2006

Coffee in my Mind

Sorry to say I drank coffee this afternoon! Now my brain can hardly gather itself together on the page. I will be sticking to will(ingness) power from now on. Here are a couple of coffee related thought threads.

A monk told me recently about a chap who came to him for emergency counseling a few days into a retreat at one of our monasteries. He couldn't keep up with the schedule, he felt exhausted all the time, he had a headache to beat the band and was trembling all over! His problem? Coffee withdrawal. He'd gone from twenty cups a day, to none! Gosh, how they can mount up, ay?

The origins of coffee. The way it was told me, a goat herd in Ethiopia noticed his goats were dancing and then chewed on the red berries they had been eating, and felt pretty good. Fairly soon the word got out and a world wide phenomena was born. There are a number of different stories however I like this one the best so I'm sticking with it.